Skymusings

“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” -James Madison

Monday, June 05, 2006

Bah

My normal output of Blog Product, decidedly non-prodigious on the best of days, has attained a new level of apathy and slack.

You might ask why -- certainly my brother in Texas and my apparent fan in Winter Park, Florida might be (they are 2/3 of my normal visitors)....

The usual excuses apply, of course -- life has intruded and I've been very busy getting a production of The Fantasticks up on its feet (and the stage). Throw in a girlfriend's budding business venture combined with her best friend's addiction/intervention and some goofy paperwork issues on the house, and there is a recipe for doing Other Than Blogging types of work. Oh, and at work I've actually been working instead of hanging around waiting for something to do (not from sloth; it is the nature of my gig).

But the main factor is disgust; disgust with congressional leaders of both parties is the big one.

The Republicans are doing their darnedest to drive me away after having finally captured me in 2000. I held my nose voting for GWB the first time, knowing that Al Gore must NEVER get his wooden mitts on the button. 2002 and subsequent elections saw me supporting the Republicans down the line for the first time in my voting life.

Now we have the Senate delivering us the mess that is the "immigration reform act", following up on their prior hits "campgaign finance reform" and "prescription drug act".

Now we have the House leadership going to the mat for William Jefferson, a known dirty politician who kept bribe money in his freezer and resisted the subpoena to search his office for *EIGHT MONTHS*. Hastert actually trotted out the Separation of Powers argument, which is as specious as it gets.

Back when I was a dedicated Libertarian (okay, pothead...), I honestly saw no real difference between the two major parties. Now a little older and hopefully a little wiser, I see the differences more clearly in terms of philosophy and approach.

However, when it comes to governance, incumbent-protection, and elitist tendencies derived from too long on The Hill, there is no effective difference between the large parties. It is up to the individuals to distinguish themselves as being "Of, By, and For the People" and there are precious few of them around.

I still care. I still follow politics, because it *does* matter. But I'm kind of tired of trying to convince people (for the moment) that choosing Republican is the way to go. I still believe it, because sadly the Dems are offering NO rational alternative. But belief and passion are separate entities, and thus is my current state differentiated.

"A pox on both your houses" indeed.....


Never fear; I'll be back in form sooner or later. Just now the lot of them can leap off the cliff and I'd be just fine with that.

-->

0 Old Comments:

whocame.com