There are few times I would say "China could really handle this better than we have."
The lawlessness of the Katrina-ed part of the country, combined with the impotence of government officials (at all levels) to provide order and protection has me thinking that indeed the deadly Communists would know what to do .
1. The minute the winds died down and the realization of flooding was occurring, China would have had 20,000 real soldiers in the area, setting up where they could, coordinating inflow of supplies, and setting perimeters.
2. Looting and street violence wouldn't be tolerated. Looters would be shot, probably without warnings.
3. Survivors who wanted to peacefully get out would be quickly picked up and moved out of the area via a flotilla of ships, small boats, helicopters, and land vehicles capable of navigating the area.
4. There would be no talk of 'rebuilding.' New Orleans would become a big lake at the mouth of the Mississippi. (The enviromarxists should be thrilled at the return of a grotesque manmade place being returned to its natural state.)
5. Survivors would be relocated to other cities and communities. Violent felons and unsavory folks would get to go to a nice little stockade in the desert.
I'm not saying that I would approve of all these actions; only that this is how China would probably handle it. Would it really be worse than what's happening now?